Stomach Cancer a Silent Disease, Which Symptoms You Should Pay Attention To
Stomach cancer, also called gastric cancer, arises when cells grow inordinate and uncontrolled. Two types of tumors may be present in the stomach, the malignant tumor being malignant only, since this type of tumor can spread to other organs or bones, whereas benign tumors can grow but do not extend beyond the stomach.
The process by which stomach cancer develops is often slow and even be there for years. That is why almost at an early stage has no symptoms and no changes are noticed, which makes it difficult to detect.
According to the place of the stomach in which they begin to gestate can produce different symptoms as well as the consequences are different. Depending on your location your treatment will depend. That is to say, those that, for example, originate in the gastroesophageal junction, are classified and treated in the same way as esophageal cancer, whereas those originating in the cardia of the stomach (muscular located between the stomach and the esophagus ) Is firstly classified in stages and is also treated as cancer of the esophagus.
This type of pathology can make a metastasis, that is to say that it can be spread to other nearby organs. In an advanced state it can move into the bloodstream and spread to the liver, lungs and bones.
Risk factors refer to the chances of contracting a disease, whether due to factors that can be changed, such as smoking; Or by factors that can not be changed such as family history and age.
Let’s say that the risk factors indicate a greater predisposition to contract a disease, in this case stomach cancer, but it can not necessarily be assured that it will appear. There are cases where people get the disease without having any family history or risk factors.
– Sex: Stomach cancer is more common in men than women.
– Age: After the age of 50 the rate increases significantly, with the highest number of cases in people between the ages of 60 and 90.
– Ethnic origin: The countries with the highest number of cases worldwide are China, Japan, Eastern Europe, Central and South America, with a smaller number in West Africa, South Africa, Central Asia, South Asia and North America.
– Helicobacter pylori infection: This bacterium may be a major cause of the onset of stomach cancer.
– Stomach lymphoma: People who developed some type of stomach lymphoma are at greater risk of suffering from this disease that has a close relationship with the bacterium Helicobacter pylori.
– Food factor: A greater increase of this disease has been detected in people who usually eat abundantly fish and smoked foods as well as salted meat, cured meat and vegetables in canned vinegar.
– Tobacco: The bad habit of the cigarette increases the chances of stomach cancer and has incidence in others. The possibilities increase double in smokers.
– Excess weight: Obesity or excess weight could be an influential factor in the development of the disease. But this is still in the study stage.
– Anemia: Vitamin B12 deficiency affects the body’s ability to produce red blood cells and can also lead to other complications. This is called pernicious anemia. And people who develop this disease have a greater chance in the future of causing stomach cancer.
– Stomach surgeries: People who had to undergo stomach surgeries, for example from ulcers, are more likely to develop stomach cancer in the future. When they usually occur many years develop after surgery.
– Blood type A: For factors that are still unknown people with blood type A are more likely to get the disease.
– Hereditary factor: The hereditary factor seems to play a preponderant role in the development of stomach cancer. Especially when it was recorded in direct relatives as fathers, mothers and siblings.
– Labor factor: People who are engaged in occupations that have a direct relationship with the metal, rubber. And coal industry may be more likely to develop stomach cancer.
Since the stomach is the main food digestion agent, the symptoms are detected particularly there. But as we noted earlier it is not always detected in the initial stage.
Viruses or stomach ulcers usually present with symptoms that may be compatible with stomach cancer. If this is your case, try to rule out any complications and treat your condition properly.
– Vomiting (with or without blood)
– Abdominal swelling
– Loss of appetite
– Weight loss for no apparent reason
– Abdominal discomfort at the navel level
– Feeling of having eaten the excess, even after having ingested a small bite
These symptoms may coincide with other conditions that have treatment. And are not dangerous, but in case you have doubts it is preferable to consult your doctor.